Broiled Tuna with Tomatillos and Peppers Recipe
This tuna recipe also works well with fresh swordfish or mahi mahi. This calls for broiling the tuna until just the surface is cooked through; if you prefer the entire steak cooked through, double the cooking time.
Broiled Tuna with Tomatillos and Peppers Ingredients:
- 1 lb Tomatillos
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil (for fish)
- 1.25 cups Vidalia Onion (or other sweet onion, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Jalapeno (seeded and minced)
- 1/2 cup Bell Pepper (red or yellow, seeded and coarsely chopped)
- 1/3 cup Cilantro (fresh, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cider Vinegar (optional)
- 2 lbs Tuna Steak (approx 1-inch thick)
Prep Time: 5 minutes.
Cook Time: 15 minutes.
Total Time: 20 minutes.
Broiled Tuna with Tomatillos and Peppers Cooking Directions:Preheat the broiler.
Remove the husks from the tomatillos and wash under lukewarm water. Chop into chunks. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy pan and add the tomatillos, onion, jalapeño, and pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the tomatillos have softened and the vegetables have cooked through. Remove the heat and stir in the cilantro and vinegar, if using. Set aside.
Meanwhile, oil the tuna on both sides with the remaining teaspoon of oil. Place on a broiling pan and broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the surface is cooked through. Do not turn. Remove from the oven and cut diagonally into slices. Serve with about 1/2 cup of the tomatillos alongside.