Scallops with Sweet Marjoram and Scallions Recipe
When using our large sea scallops, slice them into 1/2 inch wide pieces. Steam carefully because scallops become rubbery if overcooked. This dish tastes best prepared a day in advance. If you wait to salt until just before serving, the dish will retain its fresh flavor.
Scallops with Sweet Marjoram and Scallions Ingredients:
- 1 cup Whole Scallion greens
- 2 Sprigs fresh Sweet Marjoram
- 1.25 lbs Scallops
- 1-2 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Scallions (thinly sliced, white parts only)
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Sweet Marjoram (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese Chili Sauce (mae ploy)
- 1 dash Sesame Oil (optional)
- Black Pepper (freshly milled)
- 1 dash Salt (optional)
Prep Time: 5 minutes.
Cook Time: 15 minutes.
Total Time: 20 minutes.
Scallops with Sweet Marjoram and Scallions Cooking Directions:Place 1/4 cup water, the scallion greens, and the sprigs of sweet marjoram in the bottom of a steamer. Put the scallops in the steaming container. Bring the water to a boil, add the scallops, and steam until the scallops are just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Place them in a small, deep, heat proof bowl.
Strain the cooking juices, return to the pot, and boil them until reduced to 1/3 cup. Pour over the scallops. Add the lemon juice and the sliced scallions. Refrigerate overnight. Before serving, stir in the 1 teaspoon sweet marjoram. Taste and add the chili sauce, a minute quantity of sesame oil, black pepper, and salt, if desired.