Take a trip to the Balkans with this dish featuring New England Baked Haddock served with ajvar and mixed greens. Found and enjoyed in countless variations throughout Southeastern Europe, ajvar is a super delicious and versatile vegan spread. This version of ajvar uses eggplants and red bell peppers roasted over the open fire to capture mouthwatering smoky flavor, which creates the perfect contrast with the sweet and tender baked haddock and the refreshing greens.
Brought to you by @chicagolovespanini
- 1 package Legal Sea Foods New England Baked Haddock, cooked as per package instructions
- 3 large eggplants, washed and pat dried
- 4 large red bell peppers, washed and pat dried
- 1x8oz bag spring mix, washed and pat dried
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1x29oz can tomato sauce
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup neutral tasting oil + more, if needed (for ajvar)
- 1/3 cup neutral tasting oil (for mixed green salad)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One by one, roast the eggplants and peppers on the stove top over a medium flame until they turn soft, their skins turn black, and the juices start running. Once roasted, cool down in a large mixing bowl. Remove the charred skins and the stems, quickly run through cold water, and pat dry to remove any excess Remove seeds from peppers.
- Place the eggplants and peppers in a blender and blend until the mixture is Sed aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pot. Sauté the onion over medium heat for about 2 minutes or until golden-brown or translucent, adding extra oil, as/if Add the blended eggplants and peppers, as well as the tomato sauce, bay leaves torn in half, the remaining oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 1 hour or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the ajvar has a thick consistency, adding more oil if needed to maintain a soft and creamy texture, and/or extra salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, make a vinaigrette by mixing oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper to taste. Place spring mix in a medium size bowl. Right before serving, pour vinaigrette over the spring mix, and toss to ensure even coverage.
- Divide baked haddock, ajvar and spring mix salad evenly across 4 plates. Serve haddock hot, ajvar warm, and salad at room temperature or slightly chilled.
- You can store leftover ajvar, if any, in the refrigerator for up to 1